Thursday, March 10, 2011

The ToDo List (Keeps Getting Longer)

My Silver Streak is a fixer upper. Which is fine. I am not wealthy, not even comfortable really. So I needed a bargain. And I knew that I wanted to retrofit the trailer to meet the needs of my large-ish family. So a trailer that needed work was just fine with me.

This is a list of some of the things that need to be done to get the trailer ready to travel and comfortable for my family. I will add to it when I think of something new. It’s not in any particular order. I will try to write an article or two on each item so you can follow my progress and learn from my mistakes.

  • Check the wheel bearings.
  • Install grease fittings on the axles to allow for quick greasing of bearings.
  • Fix one tire that has a slow leak.
  • Acquire new hinges for the door.
  • Repair door.
  • Repair/replace roof vent (Thanks to me driving down the road with it open.)
  • Clean interior.
  • Switch light plug to modern plug that will work with my vehicle.
  • Fix or replace refrigerator.
  • Replace holding tank valve.
  • Check all plumbing.
  • Inspect water pressure system.
  • Remodel sleeping area to fit four bunks and a fifth temporary bed.
  • Strip living room area of furniture and build a queen bed platform with storage underneath.
  • Check gas fuel system for heater, water heater, refrigerator, and stove/oven unit.
  • Check all lights.
  • Replace flooring.
  • Replace counters in kitchen and bath.
  • Grease and inspect tongue hitch.
  • Repair step under door.

3 comments:

  1. Hi-
    We have a 1967 silver streak and would love to add bunk beds to fit our family. I was wondering if you accomplished that task?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is your renovation coming along. Would love an update. Purchased my parents 1970 Sabre & ready to start renovations. We also have hinge issues on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,

    We have a 1974 thirty one foot Silver Streak in almost top condition.

    Our trailer will likely not ever move, at least on my watch.

    It is placed in a garden, has permanent power and water, and we drain the toilet into a septic tank.

    There are some water lines entering the toilet that look to have mouse or rat chewed holes that need to be replaced. The lines are hard to get to without removing the toilet which seems really locked in place. When my guys tried to remove the toilet, it was like something was locked inside it that would not allow us to remove it to get to the lines without breaking something.

    My question is this:

    Do you (or someone that you know) know if we can remove the toilet altogether, put in a new direct line into a traditional "off the shelf" type toilet from Home Depot or Lowes, install it and call it good?

    We would obviously have more water flow that way, there seems to be enough clearance in the back for a tank, and of course going that route, one would not need the nozzle and sprayer to wash everything down the toilet.

    What do you think?

    Let me know please.

    Thank you.

    Do you know if a regular toilet can replace the one that came in our 1974 Silver Streak?
    Brian Kraft
    Cell: (916)712-3646
    email: blkraft@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete